We decided to sleep in a bit. I set the alarm for 7 since the gas company would be here at 8am. The alarm went off at 7 along with the front doorbell. The gas company arrived at 7! Good thing Wayne can dress quickly…bahahahaha! The gas company worked here for a few hours then was ready to do the final install on the cook top unit, but there was an issue. The gas top is automatically set up for natural gas and there is a converter for propane. We have propane. Well, no converter was with the unit. So, the cook top unit final install is on hold.
The cook top unit is from an old client that did not want the unit but it has not been used. It has been in storage for about 10 yrs. I cannot get a converter for the unit because it has been discontinued. So, most of today was spent trying to find a unit that would fit. You see…the granite has already been cut a certain size and if I cannot find a unit that fits then the granite company will need to return and re-cut. This means more dust, mess and more money. I found two units that would fit the cut dimensions. Both units were highly rated, decently priced but I could not actually get one in my hands. I ended up ordering one of them today (I did see a real model in the store of it) and it will be at my home on Wednesday. The kitchen is getting pricier but this unit should last quite awhile.
We regrouped and made a punchlist of items for the kitchen remodel. We cleaned and put more items away. We chilled out a bit tonight with Mai Tai drinks and a movie. It was so needed.
Because we were up late organizing the kitchen last night we decided to sleep in a little – until the doorbell rang at 7am. Quickly throwing on some sweats, I rushed to the door to meet the gas company who was an hour early. A bit out of sorts, and without coffee, I quickly set out site protection tarps on the floor. After I reviewed the scope of work with the installers, I put on a pot of coffee and smiled as I realized that this was the big day – we were going to get our last, and most important appliance up and running.
About an hour into the project, our hopes and dreams were dashed. The brand new Bosch cook top which we had in storage since 2007, the one that this whole project was centered around, was set up for natural gas and we didn’t have the conversion kit for propane. Wendy frantically searched the web and discovered that this model had been discontinued and no conversion kit has been available for 5 years. The gas guys left without fan fare (and without us being able to cook). To make matters worse – we had to find a new cook top that would fit into the exact same opening that our granite counter was cut for. After extensive research, Wendy found a Whirlpool unit that would work. After our depressive mood lifted - we set off to go buy it.
State Street was so busy we couldn’t even get a salesman; Home Depot had the model on display but couldn’t deliver for over a week. Wendy finally ended up ordering it on line through Best Buy with a delivery date for next Wednesday.
It’s been a long day and we don’t feel like going out – Pizza it is.